According to the ONS, a total of 1,792 road deaths were reported in 2016, a rise of 4% compared with those in 2015; the highest figure since 2011. There was a 44% drop in fatalities during 2016 in comparison with 2006.
Personal injury claims as a result of road traffic accidents are on the increase, and if you have suffered an injury due to a road traffic accident, you might be entitled to compensation. If you need to file a road accident claim Gloucestershire legal specialists are available to assist you with legal and procedural advice to ensure your claim has the best possible chances of success.
Other notable statistics reported by the ONS include:
- There were 24,101 people seriously injured as a result of road traffic accidents during 2016. However, comparisons of this figure with earlier figures is challenging, as there have been changes in the manner in which severity of injuries are now reported.
- There were 181,384 casualties in total in 2016. A 3% decline from 2015 figures, the lowest ever recorded.
- Motor traffic levels increased by 2.2% from 2015 to 2016.
What can be concluded:
There has been a statistically significant decrease in the number of casualties in road traffic accidents between 2015 and 2016. This suggests there are various factors that have combined together to improve some aspects of safety on Britain’s roads.
What cannot be concluded:
The number of deaths as a result of road traffic accidents increased between 2015 and 2016, but the change is minor, and can be attributed to natural fluctuation in deaths over a period of time.
The 2016 serious injuries figures were substantially impacted, and figures for slight injuries also, but less severely, by changes in reporting systems used by approximately 50% of UK police forces. Therefore, comparisons with figures from 2015 for serious injuries may prove to less accurate.
- In 2016, a total of 24,101 seriously injured casualties were reported in road traffic accidents.
- There were 181,384 casualties reported in road traffic accidents during 2016. This is around 3% lower than in 2015, and the lowest level ever recorded.
- 136,621 personal-injury cases related to traffic accidents were reported in 2016, of which 1,695 involved at least one death.
Regardless of the type of personal injury sustained in a road traffic accident, you should always seek legal advice. Many legal firms offer a team of specialists in personal injury and compensation claims. If you need to make a traffic accident compensation claim, a workplace compensation claim, a burn compensation claim, or a cosmetic surgery compensation claim, having the right legal specialist working on your case will increase the chances of receiving an acceptable compensation settlement.